If you are planning on ceasing employment with your current employer as the holder of a 457 visa, or your employment has been terminated the below is a guide on some of the most common options available to individuals in your circumstance.

If you have decided to stop working for your employer, or your employer has terminated your employment you have 90 days following the cessation of employment to either depart Australia, obtain a visa to remain in Australia, or be employed by another approved standard business sponsor.

If you are planning on departing Australia it is important you notify the Department of Immigration & Border Protection to request a cancellation of your visa as soon as possible for the following reasons:

Claiming your Superannuation contributions

  • To make a departing Australia superannuation payment claim with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or your superannuation fund.

The Australian Taxation Office and/or Australian superannuation funds require a ‘Certificate of Immigration Status’ to prove that you are no longer a temporary resident of Australia.

Returning to Australia as a tourist or business visitor

  • To return to Australia as a tourist or business visitor on an applicable visitor visa such as the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), eVisitor visa, or Visitor (subclass 600) visa.

It is important that individuals cancel their subclass 457 visa if they are intending on retrieving their superannuation contributions or returning to Australia as

Need assistance?

If you are currently the holder of a subclass 457 visa and are considering leaving your employer or your employer is considering terminating your employment please contact us for professional advice and further assistance.

Return to Top 1300083843