Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Subclass 491 Visa

The subclass 491 visa has been introduced to meet the skills shortages that are being experienced in regional and rural areas of Australia. The visa has a pathway to Permanent Residency via the Skilled Employer Regional (subclass 494) visa once a holder of the subclass 491 visa has lived and worked in the regional area for at least three years on their subclass 491 visa.

The 491 visa is a points tested visa with the highest scoring applicants being invited to apply for the visa following a successful nomination from a state, territory or eligible family member.

Visa applications in this category are afforded priority processing to ensure regional areas are receiving the skills required to meet demands.

What are the application requirements of the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) visa?

An Expression of Interest (EOI) must be submitted via SkillSelect that will rank your EOI amongst other interested applicants. The highest scoring applicants will be invited following selection from the relevant state or territory.

The main requirements of the visa are as follows:

  • Your occupation must be on the applicable regional occupation list
  • Applicants will need to achieve at least 65 points on the Points Test
  • Applicants must be nominated by an Australian State or Territory or eligible relative
  • A positive skills assessment will be required for the nominated occupation
  • You will be required to meet health and character requirements

The subclass 491 visa requires a nomination from a relevant Australian state or territory or will require you to be nominated by an eligible relative residing in a designated regional area of Australia.

How We Can Help

Ethos Migration Lawyers will undertake a thorough consultation with you and assist you in preparing a thorough, accurate and complete Expression of Interest as the first step to securing your regional visa maximising your chances for an invitation.

Ethos Migration Lawyers will apply for your nomination from the relevant state or territory that you have been invited to apply from. It is critical that this application is completed correctly and approved as it is the final stage before getting to apply for your visa.

Ethos Migration Lawyers will work closely with you to discuss, prepare and manage your visa application whilst it is being assessed by the Department of Home Affairs.

Our team of experienced Immigration Lawyers will ensure your visa meets each of the requirements set out in the legislation and regulations and ensure the most successful outcome can be achieved.

Transition To Australian Permanent Residency

Subclass 491 visa holders and their family members who have held the subclass 491 visa for at least three years, have complied with all the conditions imposed on the visa and have lived and worked in the designated regional area since being granted the visa are eligible to apply for Permanent Residency via the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) subclass 191 visa.

Schedule a Consultation with Ethos Migration Lawyers for Expert Immigration Advice and Assistance on the Skilled Regional (Subclass 491) Visa

Skilled Regional Visa Frequently Asked Questions

You can apply for the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) visa either onshore or offshore.

In order to be able to apply for the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) visa you must be nominated by a State or Territory government agency, or an eligble relative must sponsor you. You must also have an occupation on a relevant skilled occupation list and have a suitable skills assessment for that occupation.

Each Australian state and territory have different requirements in order to be eligible to apply for a nomination. A job offer is a common requirement for a number of states and territories.

The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) visa cannot be extended. If you’re looking at staying in Australia longer than this visa allows, you will need to apply for a new applicable visa.

Yes you can. If you wish to include family members at a later date you are able to do so as long as it is before a decision is made on your SC491 visa application.

Return to Top 1300083843