Updated Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL) Released
The Hon Alan Tudge MP, Acting Minister for Immigration has released a statement introducing a new priority skills list (Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL)).
This is in combination with new strengthened labour market testing which will allow for a small number of sponsored skilled workers to start returning to Australia to help businesses fill jobs in critical sectors. These sectors are ones deemed necessary to rebuild Australia’s economy post COVID-19.
There are 17 occupations on the new list which are designed to help the Australian economy recover. The occupations are in the Health Care sector, Construction, and Information Technology sector.
Employers looking to sponsor someone for one of the below occupations must first advertise their job vacancy on the Government’s JobActive website as part of the strengthened labour market testing requirements.
The current Labour Market Testing requirements will still apply and the advertisement on JobActive must be in addition to the standard requirements.
The existing skilled migration lists will still remain open with no changes to be made to them yet, but priority processing will be given to those occupations found on the new PMSOL list.
Update: 23 June 2021 – 22 New Occupation Added
The 17 occupations found on the PMSOL list are:
- Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
- Construction Project Manager (133111)
- Mechanical Engineer (233512)
- General Practitioner (253111)
- Resident Medical Officer (253112)
- Psychiatrist (253411)
- Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
- Midwife (254111)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
- Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
- Registered Nurse (perioperative) (254423)
- Registered Nurses nec (254499)
- Developer Programmer (261312)
- Software Engineer (261313)
- Maintenance Planner (312911)
- Accountant (General) (221111)
- Accountant (Taxation) (221113)
- Accountant (Management) (221112)
- External Auditor (221213)
- Internal Auditor (221214)
- Electrical Engineer (233311)
- Civil Engineer (233211)
- Structural Engineer (233214)
- Geotechnical Engineer (233212)
- Transport Engineer (233215)
- Mining Engineer (233611)
- Petroleum Engineer (233612)
- Surveyor (232212)
- Cartographer (232213)
- Other Spatial Scientist (232214)
- Medical Laboratory Scientist (234611)
- Orthotist / Prosthetist (251912)
- Multimedia Specialist (261211)
- Analyst Programmer (261311)
- Software and Applications Programmers (261399)
- ICT Security Specialist (262112)
- Chef (351311)
Those who are granted a visa under the PMSOL list will be able to request a travel exemption to be able to enter Australia on this visa, however, will still need to complete the mandatory 14 day quarantine imposed on all incoming travellers to Australia. This will be at their own cost.
Information regarding travel exemptions for those working in critical sectors can be found here.
Ethos Migration Lawyers have achieved many successful travel exemptions for our clients and are well-placed to provide you with a detailed consultation.