The Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL) was introduced in September 2020 to allow certain occupations to be granted a sponsored visa while the COVID-19 restrictions were in place in Australia. This list recognises certain occupations which are of great importance to the Australian recovery and response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The PMSOL list comprises of 18 occupations which cover occupations from the Health Care sector, Construction, and Information Technology sectors. The PMSOL did not replace pre-existing skilled migration lists, however, provides priority processing for those holding occupations found on the list.
The PMSOL and priority processing of nominations from the below applicant occupations is relevant to the following employer sponsored visa subclasses:
- Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482)
- Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494)
- Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa (subclass 186)
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187)
Occupations found on the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List
- Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
- Construction Project Manager (133111)
- Mechanical Engineer (233512)
- General Practitioner (253111)
- Resident Medical Officer (253112)
- Psychiatrist (253411)
- Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
- Midwife (254111)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
- Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
- Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
- Registered Nurses nec (254499)
- Developer Programmer (261312)
- Software Engineer (261313)
- Maintenance Planner (312911)
- Social Worker (272511)
This list has been curated by the government based on expert advice from the National Skills Commission and discussions between relevant Commonwealth departments. This list is a live list and may change due to the current needs and demands for the COVID-19 pandemic recovery and aid.
Updates to the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List
The PMSOL is a relatively new list of occupations only being announced on 2 September 2020, however, on 27 November 2020, an 18th occupation was added to the list, Social Worker (272511) based on advice given by the National Skills Commission.
Travel Exemptions and the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List
Those who are granted a visa under the PMSOL list will be able to request a travel exemption to be able to enter Australia. Applicants are eligible for this exemption, but do still need to apply for it and obtain written approval to enter Australia during the COVID-19 travel restrictions.
Ethos Migration Lawyers are able to assist with your Travel Exemption at the same time we prepare and manage your sponsored employment visa in order to make the process and move to Australia as smooth and stress free as possible.