Introduction – Subclass 482 – TSS Visa
The Subclass 482 – TSS visa programme enables business sponsors to nominate international employees for a period of up to four years depending on the occupation that is being sponsored.
If the occupation is on the Medium and Long-Term Stategic Skills List (MLTSSL) the TSS visa can be granted for up to four years with the ability for visa renewal onshore for a further four years with a permanent residency pathway available after three years on this visa.
If the occupation is on the Short-Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) the TSS visa can be granted for up to two years with the ability for a visa renewal onshore for a further two years.
The TSS Visa is designed to assist businesses that are facing difficulties finding appropriate skilled labour in their industry.
The three streams of the Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) (subclass 482) Visa
- The Short-term visa stream, applies to overseas workers whose occupations are on the Short-term Skilled Occupation list and they will be employed for 2 years, unless this is inconsistent with an international trade obligation. Short term visa stream holders will have the ability to renew this visa once onshore for a further period of 2 years.
- The Medium-term stream, applies to workers whose occupations are on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills list and they will be employed for 4 years with the ability to transition to permanent residency after being employed by the nominating sponsor for a minimum period of at least 3 years.
- The Labour Agreement Stream, enables skilled overseas workers to be employed under a labour agreement with the Commonwealth government.
Eligibility Requirements – Sponsor
Labour Market Testing – the sponsoring employer will need to provide evidence that they have experienced difficulty in recruiting the nominated position in the local labour market. Exemptions to this apply if an international trade obligation applies.
Minimum Market Salary – employers are required to provide remuneration to the nominated employee that are no less favourable to what would be offered to an equivalent Australian employee performing the same role at the same location. The salary must also be above the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT) applicable at time of application.
Training Requirement – employers nominating a worker for a TSS visa are required to pay a contribution to the Skilling Australians Fund that has been established by the Federal Government. The contribution is $1,200 per year or part year for businesses with an annual turnover of less than $10 million and or a contribution of $1,800 per year or part year for any other business, the contribution is payable in full at the time of the nomination application.
Eligibility Requirements – Applicant
Work Experience – all applicants are required to have at least two years work experience relevant to the occupation being nominated.
Police Clearances – all applicants will be required to provide a police clearances for every country they have spent 12 months or more in, in the last 10 years.
English Ability – Occupations that are listed on the Short-term stream will require to provide evidence of an English ability of at least IELTS 4.5 in each test component or its equivalent and occupations that are listed on the Medium-term stream will require at least IELTS 5.0 in each test component or its equivalent.
Certain occupations have caveats associated to them, meaning that if a business wishes to be nominated in a particular occupation that has a caveat further requirements must be met.
Some examples of the caveats imposed are:
- Turnover of at least AUD$1 million per years
- At least five full time staff
- Positions such as bookkeepers, accounting clerks or clerical workers will not be able to be sponsored under the occupation ‘Accountant’
If you would like further information on the Subclass 482 TSS visa, or wish to schedule a consultation please contact us on 1300 083 843 or via email at [email protected]