What is the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)?
The 485 visa is a temporary working visa that allows students who have graduated to live, work and study after they have graduated from an Australian educational institution.
What are the requirements?
- Must be under 50 years of age
- Currently in Australia with an eligible student visa
- Must have completed a minimum of 2 years study in Australia
- Must be able to meet English requirement (IELTS of atleast 6 with no band lower than 5) or equivalent English test
- Must have graduated with either an eligible qualification or a skill that relate to an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation Lists (SOL).
There are further requirements such as health insurance requirements however the above are the main requirements that must be met along with the appropriate stream of visa as below:
The two streams of the visa
This visa has two streams that eligible students can apply via – the below is a summary of the requirements of each stream.
The Graduate Work Stream
This stream is available to international students with an eligible qualification who have graduated from an Australian education institution with skills and the qualifications that relate to an occupation that is listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months after visa is approved.
Post-Study Work Stream
This stream is available to students who have graduated with a degree or higher from an Australian education institution.
This stream does not require you to have to have graduated with skills and/or qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).