About the Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa
The sponsored parent visa provides parents with a pathway to temporarily remain in Australia with their children and grandchildren. Due to the competitive nature of the general Parent visa places and associated lengthy waiting periods, this is a option for parents wishing to live in Australia for up to five years.
The sponsored parent visa is a great alternative for parents not willing to spend significant amounts of money for a permanent visa, or wait for the excessive waiting times for standard parent visa.
Holders of the sponsored parent visa will not have work rights in Australia and must maintain health insurance.
- You must have a biological, adoptive, or step child in Australia that is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen that can sponsor you
- Your sponsor must not have any adverse information against them and must meet a minimum household income threshold which will be based on the income of the sponsor, or the combined income of the sponsor and their partner and/or another child of the parent. Sponsors will also be required to provide police clearances for any country they have spent more than 12 months cumulatively in during the past 10 years and meet the character test
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- If you have previously held or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa you must be outside of Australia when you lodge your visa application
- You must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself, obtain health insurance and meet character requirements
- Your sponsor must lodge a sponsorship application and be approved before you can lodge your visa application
Is there a balance-of-family test?
Unlike the other permanent Parent visas the Balance of Family test requirement does not apply for the sponsored parent visa. This means that a parent does not need to have more than half of their children residing permanently in Australia.
How long can you stay?
The sponsored parent visa will allow parents to stay in Australia on a temporary basis for a period of up to five years at a time. Parent’s can re-apply for this visa after spending at least 90 days outside Australia before they apply again.
There is a total limit of a cumulative 10 years which after that point you must depart Australia or apply for another visa that will allow you to remain in Australia.
Applicants will have the option to apply for a three year visa or a five year visa.
How can we help?
If you are considering applying for this visa it is important you are represented by experts in Australian Migration Law to ensure the application has the best opportunity of being successful.
Please contact our firm for further information regarding this visa.