Five Year Parent Visa – Sponsored Parent (subclass 870) (Temporary) Visa

Sponsored Parent (subclass 870) (Temporary) Visa

About the Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa

The sponsored parent visa provides parents with a pathway to temporarily remain in Australia with their children and grandchildren. Due to the competitive nature of the general Parent visa places and associated lengthy waiting periods, this is a option for parents wishing to live in Australia for up to five years.

The sponsored parent visa is a great alternative for parents not willing to spend significant amounts of money for a permanent visa, or wait for the excessive waiting times for standard parent visa.

Holders of the sponsored parent visa will not have work rights in Australia and must maintain health insurance.

Eligibility Criteria

  • You must have a biological, adoptive, or step child in Australia that is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen that can sponsor you
  • Your sponsor must not have any adverse information against them and must meet a minimum household income threshold which will be based on the income of the sponsor, or the combined income of the sponsor and their partner and/or another child of the parent. Sponsors will also be required to provide police clearances for any country they have spent more than 12 months cumulatively in during the past 10 years and meet the character test
  • You must be at least 18 years of age
  • If you have previously held or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa you must be outside of Australia when you lodge your visa application
  • You must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself, obtain health insurance and meet character requirements
  • Your sponsor must lodge a sponsorship application and be approved before you can lodge your visa application

Is there a balance-of-family test?

Unlike the other permanent Parent visas the Balance of Family test requirement does not apply for the sponsored parent visa. This means that a parent does not need to have more than half of their children residing permanently in Australia.

How long can you stay?

The sponsored parent visa will allow parents to stay in Australia on a temporary basis for a period of up to five years at a time. Parent’s can re-apply for this visa after spending at least 90 days outside Australia before they apply again.

There is a total limit of a cumulative 10 years which after that point you must depart Australia or apply for another visa that will allow you to remain in Australia.

Applicants will have the option to apply for a three year visa or a five year visa.

How can we help?

If you are considering applying for this visa it is important you are represented by experts in Australian Migration Law to ensure the application has the best opportunity of being successful.

Please contact our firm for further information regarding this visa.

Other Information

The Department will grant up to 15,000 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas each program year (from 1 July to 30 June).

Once the cap is reached in a program year, no further visas will be granted until the next program year commences on 1 July.

A parent sponsor will be required to meet obligations including:

  • providing financial support and accommodation for their parent in Australia
  • keeping records and providing them to the Department if asked. For example evidence of income. This obligation ends two years after the day the person ceases to be a sponsor
  • advising the Department when certain events occur. For example if they are charged with a crime. This obligation ends the day after the person ceases to be a sponsor
  • paying outstanding public health debts incurred by their parent in Australia. The obligation ceases if the relevant health authority advises the debt has been repaid, or acceptable repayment arrangements have been made. However, this obligation will continue if there are outstanding health debts, even after the parent who incurred them has departed Australia.

The visa allows parents to stay in Australia temporarily for a period of up to five years at a time. A parent must be outside Australia for at least 90 days before being eligible to apply for a further Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. A parent will be able to hold visas up to a total stay in Australia of 10 years, reflecting that the visa is a temporary visa and does not lead to permanent residence.

Parents who have held Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas for the cumulative maximum 10 year period must either depart Australia or apply for another visa that will allow them to remain in Australia. They will not be eligible for grant of a further Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa.

Contact Ethos Migration Lawyers Today

We’re just a click or call away.

We’re here to provide solutions to your migration needs. Migration can be complicated, our experienced immigration lawyers are here to provide assistance throughout each step of the way. We’re passionate about migration, and are committed to developing a strategy and solution to your immigration needs.

Ethos Migration Lawyers.