The Department of Home Affairs has confirmed that Medical Practitioners applying via the Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream via the Employer Nominated Scheme (ENS) or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) are not required to have an approved Health Workforce Certificate (HWC) if they fall within the Subclass 457 Transitional Arrangements.

The Subclass 457 Transitional Arrangements in this context mean that any who held a subclass 457 visa on or before the 18 April 2017, or who had applied for the subclass 457 visa on or before the 18 April 2017 which was subsequently granted is eligible to transition to permanent residency through the TRT stream of the ENS/RSMS visa programmes without requiring a Health Workforce Certificate.

The Health Workforce Certificates were introduced earlier this year as an occupation caveat requirement for medical practitioners in the following ANZSCO occupations:

  • General Practitioner – ANZSCO 253111
  • Resident Medical Officer – ANZSCO 253112
  • Medical Practioners NEC (not elsewhere classified) – ANZSCO 253999

If you have been sponsored in any of the above occupations and you held or first applied for your 457 (that was subsequently granted) on or before the 18 April 2017 you will be eligible to apply for TRT without the need of a Health Workforce Certificate.

More information?

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact our office on 1300 083 843 or our contact page.

Return to Top 1300083843