Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Why use an immigration lawyer/registered migration agent?

Immigration Law is widely considered to be one of the most complex areas of Australian law due to the constantly changing legislation and policy. Ethos Migration Lawyers consist of a team of Australian legal practitioners (lawyers) and Registered Migration Agents. Our lawyers have completed a four year Australian law degree, hold a legal practising certificate which must be renewed each year and undergo continuing professional development (CPD’s) in Migration Law. 

Given that we are a law firm, the information you provide us and the advice we give to you is subject to ‘legal professional privilege‘. This means that all information, advice and communication is completely confidential.

Our practice will never advise you to proceed with a matter if we know that it will not be successful. We will always work in your best interests.

When working with Ethos Migration Lawyers you can be confident knowing that we will do everything we can to achieve a successful result for you and will keep clear communication with you throughout every step of the way.

how do i make an appointment with ethos?

If you would like to schedule a consultation with our team you can do so online very easily.

Please click here to visit our online scheduling system.

Why don't you offer free consultations?

Our immigration law firm prides itself on it’s ability to provide detailed, comprehensive and thorough consultations that fully explore your circumstances and give you accurate and up to date legal advice on your immigration options in Australia. When you pay a consultation fee with us, you have formalised a relationship between us and you. You can rest assured knowing the information, advice and strategy we put in place for you is sound and of high quality legal advice. We will maintain your records for 7 years as per the legal profession rules.



Why are visa applications refused?

The complexity of Australian Migration Law means that visa applications can be refused for many reasons. However we commonly find that visa applications are refused on (but in no way limited to) the following grounds:

how do i get australian citizenship?

Currently, to be eligible for Australian Citizenship by Conferral at a minimum you must:

– hold an Australian permanent residency visa for at least one year;

– have lived in Australia on a valid visa for at least the last four years;

– have not been away from Australia for more than 12 months in total over the past four years which includes no more than 90 days in each of the past four years.


Certain exemptions apply and other pathways to Citizenship are available for some people.

what costs are involved when applying for a visa?

The costs on applying for a visa widely vary on a number of factors but in all cases you should consider the following:

  • Visa Application Charge (Government Charges)
  • Immigration Lawyer/Migration Agent Professional Fees
  • Medical Examinations
  • Police Clearances
  • Document Translation (if required)
  • Insurances

what is the difference between temporary and permanent residency?

Temporary Residence Visas allow a person to remain in Australia temporarily, for example with a visa expiry date. Permanent residents can (in most cases) remain in Australia indefinitely, work without restrictions, study in Australia, obtain a Medicare card, sponsor other visa applicants and obtain social security benefits (waiting times apply).

Other question?

Don’t be shy. Our team is more than happy to answer any further questions you may have. Give us a call on 1300 083 843 or contact us online.

Call Now Button